Select a television
program that you know contains a social inequality or social class theme
(e.g. racism, sexism, social class categories).
Include photos, illustrations, graphs, diagrams, animations, videos, or audio clips. Document the source of each media item you include.
Discuss the following in your paper or presentation:
- Provide a brief introduction that includes the program’s title,
describes the type of program, and explains which social theme you are
- Describe and explain scenes that apply to the social theme.
- Aside from verbal language, identify all observed body language,
facial expressions, gestures, posture stances, modes of dress, nonverbal
cues, symbols, and any other means by which inequalities are displayed.
- Explain your interpretation of the meanings of the identified nonverbal communications and symbolism.
- Summarize how these interpretations are important to the
sociological understanding of your chosen social inequality or social
- Provide a conclusion that summarizes the key points in your analysis.
Format your references
according to appropriate course level APA guidelines. Include citations
in the speaker notes or in a separate reference list.